Friendly Reminder

Just read my blog and don't ever leave any provocative and any sensitive unappropriate comments. Share whatever you like. If possible don't be anonymous when leaving comments as I love to know who my readers are, who knows you're one of my long lost friends :) anyway, anonymous comments will not be published for sure.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Gawai & Keamatan, Tuak, Tapai and Lihing

It's end of May and June soon will come. This time of the year, traditionally marked the end of harvesting season and the Dayaks will celebrate the good luck of getting good harvest with a celebration called Gawai. It will be held in the beginning of June every year and now it has come again. What so significant of Gawai celebration? Well if you asked me, all I can think of is the Tuak hehehe. For some people, the spirit of celebrating Gawai is already in the air and I'm sure that by now many people already went back to their village or longhouse or some still on the road. 

While in Sabah, they will celebrating "Pesta Kaamatan". I guess the concept is almost the same as Gawai and I know they also got something like Tuak but they called it Tapai or "Kinomol" (I hope I'm right there hehe, can't really remember already) and something called "Lihing". I don't know the different because for me be it Tuak, Tapai or Lihing they're taste the same (Tuak and Tapai made of rice and also called rice wine while I guess Lihing is the same also) the different is the intensity of dizzy effect :p they caused hehehe or shall be said the "strength" of alcohol effect or maybe the contains of alcohol they have. For me personally, Lihing is stronger than Tapai while Tuak's "strength" varies depending on how the brewers want it to be, should it be strong and "harsh" (I hope that's the right word), mild, sweet and strong or sweet and less alcohol :p  but the process of Tuak, Tapai and Lihing all the same, through fermentation. Tuak also can be made of fruit like pineapple and apple and I've heard Tapai also can be made out of fruit as well. Whatever it is I hope all those that will be drinking this festive time do "enjoy your BOOZE JUICE responsibly" hehehe

Anyway, To all my Dayak Friends and readers and to all of you that will celebrate Gawai:

"Selamat Hari Gawai, Gayu Guru Gerai Nyamai" 
oooooooooooooohaaaaaaaaaaa



To all my Sabahan friends and readers and all those celebrating Kaamatan:

"Kotobian Tadau Tagazo Do Kaamatan"


... and Happy Holiday to all...

4 comments:

KeeMan said...

Happy Gawai bro!!! Don't drink too much tuak! :p

Rodz Nocturne said...

KeeMan,
Thanks bro,I will only drink 1 glass from each "bilik" at my 30 "bilik" longhouse hehehe

Anija said...

Apo....byk ka. dun drink n drive k. happy gawai day 2 u...

Rodz Nocturne said...

Mrs scott,
Thanks, I won't drive in drunk but i do drive and drink, drink green tea :p

Related Posts with Thumbnails